Saturday, March 04, 2006

My Life In Two Boxes (not including my books)

Came across some photos that I brought back from my recent trip to Oz. Old photos. My brother and I as children. Me through the years. My friends on various nights out. My gorgeous mother. Got me upset. Remembering old times makes me both laugh and cry. I did more of the latter.

When recently in Oz, I had to sort out the possessions I had stored at my fathers house. He is moving and cant take my stuff with him. I can be a hoarder at times, yet when sorting, I am ruthless. Boxes and boxes of possessions were discarded. In the back of my mind was'...well, if I ever move back, I can just start again...' Sometimes I feel my life has been a series of starting again. I limit my possessions so that when I move on next it will be easier to move. I limit my friends so that its easier to move on.

In the two boxes were items that represent particular times. Old photos, a stuffed toy, love letters, an old jewellery box. Old books are a particular favourite of mine. I can remember receiving them, how they smelled, how they felt. Old children's books like 'The Muddle-Headed Wombat', 'Princess Tales', 'The Magic Pudding' and 'Blinky Bill'. I would read them over and over again. I remember my mum telling me that if I rubbed a particular picture with my finger, it would bring the smell of that picture alive. My imagination was great, and I conjured up smells and feelings that I would never forget. Sounds silly, but I found that time magical, stable, safe.

So, there are two boxes, sitting at my dad's place in Australia, that represent about 35 years. When I go back there next, I will look through those boxes and smile. Read my books and conjure up smells. Hug my teddy bear, (Commander Crumbcake). Rifling through photos, I will remember the sandpit and how my beautiful brother would look out for me and protect me. Remembering how as a child I would lie down in the front garden of our house, looking up at the clouds, and make pictures. So simple really.
Remember the times I sat around with my friends in that amazing Oz weather, laughing, playing charades, getting drunk, falling in love etc etc etc.

If you would allow me to be all whimsical and romantic, I can say that the soundtrack playing in the background of my life, as I rifle through those boxes conjuring up memories both happy and sad, would be Hoppipolla by Sigur Ros. I have no idea what the song is about as it is sung in Icelandic, yet it has much emotion, with backing orchestra and a cute percussion bell. Kind of represents my childhood that bell. As the photos fly in and out of my line of vision, I feel the music helping to tell a story.

If I were to move now, I think I could fit my last 5 years into a 1 box,(not including my books).

And I think that is how I like it. For the time being.........................

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home