Thursday, April 13, 2006

Totally Believable Plot Lines

I have a confession. I'm an addict. Have tried to kick the habit several times, but to no avail.

I'm addicted to Home and Away. I remember watching it years ago when I lived in Oz. I seem to recall watching the very first episode. cant remember much about it, apart from a couple of actors.

I started watching it again last year, around about September or October, because it gave me a glimpse of Oz, which at the time I was sorely missing. I was due to visit Oz in December, and was gearing up to my beloved home by having a taster.

Home and Away is filmed in Sydney. The beach and cafe of 'Summer Bay', is filmed at Sydney's Palm Beach. I can see places I used to visit, roads I used to ride on, the sea pool I used to swim laps in.

Yet, when watching, all the alarm bells goes off.

Several recent plot lines:

Twenty two year old heavily pregnant woman, with a potentially fatal heart condition, decides to take time out, (days before she is due), telling no one where she's going, hangs out at an isolated caravan with NO mobile signal.

Hmmmmmmm what may happen?

Young police constable, turns out to be deranged psychotic serial murderer, bumping off people who were jurors on his fathers fraud trial.

Local young doctor and all round nice guy, finds out he has terminal cancer. Stay tuned for that story kids, as, whilst in Oz, I got a glimpse of the future and MAYBE by some miracle, the cancer goes into remission against all odds?????

So, the tenants at my workplace watch shows like Eastenders and Coronation Street. For a little while, a couple of years ago, I watched Eastenders. I realised after a couple of months, that it was just plain depressing. Have never watched it since. But from time to time, I will catch a glimpse at work whilst the tenants are watching. The effect is amazing. It makes me feel really down. Sad or angry characters, no sunshine, a social life that evolves around a dingy lifeless pub.......etc etc. At least Home and Away has sunshine. At least it is centred around a place that is vibrant.

There is an abundance of trailer trash in Eastenders. I loathe it.

I do wonder where I will be in five years. I'm certain it wont be London. I wont continue to live in a place where the sun is considered a luxury. maybe I took the Oz weather for granted. I definitely took the Oz way of life for granted. An open and down to earth culture which lacked arrogance.

Anywho, I will continue to watch Home and Away, even though after each episode, I feel just that little bit dirty.......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home