Wednesday, March 29, 2006

What Makes Preston the happiest of all!!!!!!

Since I was about 19 years old, cycling has been a huge part of my life. I didn't have a bike as a child. Not sure why. I asked for one so many times. I guess my folks thought it wasn't that important. Maybe they were scared I'd do something silly...like go and get myself killed. I used to watch my neighbours ride around. They had a bike to spare sometimes, so I would ride it. As usual, learning was a case of my brother saying...'just ride Jenn...I'll hold you up from behind', only for me to hear him laughing in the distance and shouting out 'NICE ONE JENN', as he hadn't been holding me at all.

I started commuting to work on my first bike....a road bike. Cant remember how much it was. It was my main source of transport. I loved the freedom it gave me. I realised I could go anywhere...there were nothing I couldn't do. Remember my friend Andrew and I riding into the centre of Sydney. Was about 14km. We took the main roads. I was amazed we had ridden that far. I was tired yet had a sense of achievement. Didn't really look back from there.

I was about 20 when my brother bought a bike with clipless pedals. What is this? You lock your feet into the pedals? But what if you fall off? That's weird? I bought a bike about 6 months later with clipless pedals. Of course, Preston started riding even more, throwing myself into the challenge. I would ride to work, ride to the pool, ride to parties and of course ride to the beach. The only thing was, the beach was about 20-30 km away.

I started training, cycling about 60-80km a day. My friends just accepted that Preston was into another sport. But cycling wasn't just another sport. It was my time. My thinking time. My time to push myself, whilst taking in the sights, smells etc.

I quickly became quite fit. Quite strong on the bike. I started going cycling with a guy, who, although a bit of a loose canon, was incredibly fast and fit and an A grade cyclist riding for 'Northern Suburbs' Cycle Club. When we rode, we would climb hills and descend like mad people. I would try to maintain the same line through a corner as he did.....but that was scary. He never used the brake and just leaned into the fastest, scariest corners. But he taught me how to corner fearlessly. Years later, I would find myself riding that same route. There was a 1-2km downhill section. I had met a couple of guys on the road, a few k's back who I ended up riding with...seasoned guys. We were doing the downhill, and I was on the front, taking those crazy corners, thrilled at the freakish speeds and lovin them descednts. When I reached the bottom, I had lost the guys. When they finally caught up, they couldn't believe how I had taken those corners. I guess I had a good coach.

I started going on cycling holidays. A couple of trips to Tasmania and a 2 week tour around the south island of New Zealand. Magnificent views, amazing climbs....even more amazing descents.
I met a guy, Peter, on that trip, who I ended up falling for. He became my partner in everything, including cycling. He got me into racing. Except, when I got into racing, my enjoyment of cycling diminished. I'm competitive. But when I realized I was beating myself up, busting everything so that I could become the best, I stopped. Racing that is. Not cycling. I guess I know my limitations. So Preston was back on the bike.....cycling excessively, and loving every minute of it.

I find London a hard place to live for cycling. I cant get on my bike, Ruprect (named after a character from the movie Dirty Rotten Scoundrels), cycle for 10kms and be out of the big smoke like I could In Sydney. Have to throw it on a train. And don't get me started about the weather!

So friends that know me, know that I have had a knee problem for about 8 years now. Bloody thing has stopped me from enjoying my cycling. I have even taken a few years off because of it. But I have decided that the pain I have from cycling is far outweighed by the pleasure! I just cant ride like I used to. Used to be able to climb mountains, in the saddle, but now, I have to not push myself too hard. if I do, then I am hobbling!

What the hell!! I don't care! I will cycle till the day I die. It makes me happy. Nothing can beat the feeling of knowing you have reached somewhere on your own steam.

Watch this space. Preston has plans to start cycling Europe and the rest of the world!!!!!

1 Comments:

At 12:34 AM, Blogger RichardAlois said...

Go for it Preston!
And cycling in(and outside) London is not so bad? I had quite a few good times last summer!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home