Friday, March 31, 2006

I'm starting to feel Whole Again

Yesterday I had an appointment with Chelsea Westminster Hospital. Orthopaedics clinic. And the news made me wanna cry.....for joy.

Of course, Preston rode to that clinic! Here I was, sitting around in my lycra, holding my bike pump, looking sweaty, surrounded by people on crutches and with limbs in castes. Before I had the procedure, I would turn up on my bike, and hobble into the clinic. I imagined everyone thinking....'well what ya expect....riding a bloody bike with a limp!'

So, sitting in that clinic felt good yesterday. When they called my name, I strode in. I imagined everyone thinking '...what the hells wrong with her...she looks fine to me..'!

It's been so long since I strode with confidence.

You see, about 8 or so years ago, I damaged my knee. I tore a ligament in the back of it. I had an operation in 2001 to fix it. It didn't work. I then had a cyst removed. That didn't work. I had an operation last year in May. May 13th to be exact. Friday the 13th.That didn't work. Then about two weeks ago, I had another cyst removed. For some reason, it feels really good.

And much to everyones disgust, I have tested my knee in the last week. Of course Preston just cant take all that well meant advice. Stuff like...'now take it easy wont you', and 'don't do too much'. For the record, thanks everyone for that advice, but I hate hearing it. Hate being told what to do. Hate living in 2nd gear. Never have, so why start now

So Preston went to a party last week and danced her heart out. Half way through the night I thought....'bet Ive screwed my knee up tonight'. It doesn't matter when I took the plunge, whether it be now or in 6 months...if the knee is gonna screw up, its gonna screw up.

So I woke up last Saturday morning, and wow......it didn't hurt!

So riding the other day, I decided to push it. A few sprints outta lights and cranking it up a hill in the saddle oughta do it (if its gonna go). Nup. It still felt good the next day.

So many times in the past, I've felt that sick feeling go through me as I felt the knee twinge...showing signs that all was not well. Its kept me awake, aching after a ride or a night out. Maybe all that will happen again. But for now, I feel better than I have felt for years.....

I'm not limping. Not favouring my good knee.

On the way home from work last weekend, I rode past some people practising softball. I decided to ride right up to them and ask if they were a team. They were. Its pre season and they're looking for players. I joined in for a bit. I told them that I have a knee problem so possibly would have to play on a base and not run when batting. Wow. Maybe Preston will get into a team sport again!! Have wanted to play softball, baseball, and fencing among other things for a while. But that damned knee.

I have always had a romantic view of cycling Europe. Imagining myself doing the Alp 'Duez. Maybe that idea is not 'off the table' yet.

I'm starting to feel whole again. And Preston is excited. It's time to put life into 5th gear again!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home