Friday, April 14, 2006

Preston - The Corporate Whore

Preston has been making some changes of late. The incredible procrastinator that I am, I have looked into doing some things I have wanted to do for ages. You know about the guitar playing.....that seems to be coming along slowly. Have booked in for a ten week beginners course. Am excited about that because so far its just been Preston, her guitar and the laptop.

Lessons online are good, but the human factor of course is missing. The part where someone comes along and corrects your hand, or winces at the sound of a dodgy note....well they are invaluable.

I have also just booked in for lessons in Tai Chi. Have wanted to do these for years. I imagine myself, centred in meditative mode, going through the flowing motions..... anywhere...a beach....a park.....a forest. Somewhere near water would be great. Feeling at one with yourself and the world.

So, taking up the guitar and doing Tai Chi? Signs of a wannabe hippie you may say? I would be proud to be a hippie. But maybe I need some balance! Maybe with all the tofu eating and organic paper using, I need something that will balance the scales so I don't enter into some self induced hippie rebirth?????

I know!!! PRESTON WILL BECOME A CORPORATE WHORE!!!!!

I have the opportunity to take on a temporary promotion with an option to go permanent. I may step up into a senior management position where I sit in an office, work 9-5pm Monday to Friday. I will attend budget meetings and schmooze with some big wigs high up in social services. Hmmmmmmm will Preston do it? Will she go for it? Will I become the very person that my co-managers bitch about because I don't seem to know whats going on or am outta touch with residential care at the ground level???

Shit yeah!

A pay rise, the opportunity for after work drinks along with the inevitable day where I do nothing and yet seem so, so busy? I could do that! The chance to get my teeth into some things without being interrupted by....ohhh lets see....a knock on the door from the police dropping off one of the tenants I manage when they have gotten into a pub brawl. Hmmmmm attractive. How about the chance to write some reports without 2 tenants going at each other 'hammer and tongs' because one has accused the other of stealing her olive oil. Oh yeah....that's my bag! And the fact that I will be directly managing actual intelligent people? Wow, what a novelty.

So Preston is going for it. If I don't like it I can go back to the 'front line' again. Cross all your fingers that i get it eh!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home